Smile problems usually begin showing up when a child is about 7 years old. This is typically when baby teeth have begun to fall out and secondary, or adult, teeth are beginning to erupt. This is the time when Dr. Jen can spot:
• Malocclusion, or “bad bite” – Can be caused by poor growth, dental disease, swallowing problems, thumb-sucking, mouth breathing, poor hygiene, untimely loss of baby teeth, poor nutrition, birth defects or trauma. A bad bite can easily lead to other dental problems.
• Crowding, spacing and protrusion issues – Crowded teeth occur when teeth have insufficient room to erupt from the gum. Crowding can often be corrected by expansion to help avoid tooth removal. Gapped teeth are typically caused by missing or misaligned teeth. Protrusion is characterized by the upper teeth extending too far forward or the lower teeth not extending far enough forward. This affects the appearance and function of your teeth.
• Open and closed bite conditions that affect proper chewing – In an open bite, the upper and lower front teeth do not overlap. Open bite may cause tongue thrusting. Closed bite is where the upper front teeth overlap so much that the lower teeth bite into the roof of the mouth.
• Overbite, underbite and crossbite – Underbite is when the lower jaw extends out, causing the lower front teeth to sit in front of the upper front teeth. Overbite is when the upper front teeth extend out over the lower front teeth, sometimes causing the lower front teeth to bite into the roof of the mouth. Crossbite is when the upper teeth sit inside the lower teeth, which may cause misaligned jaw growth.
• Cleft palate and other craniofacial problems.
• Misaligned midlines – Caused when the back bite does not match appropriately with the front bite. This can negatively impact jaw movement and dental function.
Catching small problems before they become big problems
Dr. Jen looks for these problems so she can correct them while they are still small problems, which can easily and inexpensively be addressed. Without this early treatment, your child could suffer a lifetime of dental problems and early loss of natural teeth.
To learn more about the importance of an early orthodontic evaluation and teeth braces treatment, call Impact Orthodontics at 403.256.7797. For your convenience, you can schedule a complimentary consultation with orthodontist Dr. Jen using our online Request an Appointment form. Our early interception patients come to us from Okotoks, Southeast Calgary, Southwest Calgary and South Calgary.